Thursday, June 28, 2012

Talents real and dubious...

I have no talent. Well, musical talent that is, or even any special party tricks that I can whip out at a moment’s notice. So I’m always in awe at people who can stand up and sing, play the guitar, bend their bodies backwards or even dance (as I have two left feet...) 


Quite frankly, Paradise Ranch’s weekly Talent Night never ceases to amaze me. I always find it staggering the depth of talent hidden amongst both guests and crew, as well as their confidence in performing in front of a crowd. I am particularly stunned by the gifts that some of my fellow crew members possess; it’s such a revelation to see them transform from drawling wrangler to musical virtuoso, from humble wait-staff to comedic genius, from fishing dude to chicken hypnotist ...

But it’s the kids who really throw me for six with their confidence and inspiring talent. Last night we were treated to some incredible performances, from 12-year-old Brooklyn singing the national anthem, to 7-year-old Oliver breakdancing to MC Hammer’s ‘Can’t Touch Me’. There were a couple of masterful piano renditions, beautiful singing and goofy skits; and then there was 7-year-old Sava playing the violin, the smallest, cutest maestro ever. True talent from a mini-genius.

Of course, the night always ends in mayhem with the Little Man sketch, where crew members get to pay out on their friends by slathering them in shaving cream, mud and breakfast cereal. Nothing like public humiliation to amuse a crowd!


No comments:

Post a Comment